ETC

Author Topic: What Manga are you currently reading?  (Read 14097 times)

nami hime

• Administrator
  • Bang Ja
What Manga are you currently reading?
« on: May 12, 2007, 06:48:00 AM »
With manga addicts like us, I'm sure all of us read quite a bit of manga. 
Let's share our current reads now, why we like them or hate them? or whatever you can think of to say about them.

Usually, i read a few manga at one go, but the one that I'm currently reading is Angel Santuary.
I'm so bloody engrossed, that I had put off all translation work etc.   :h_hehe:

It is, I think one of the best works by her, since I had not read Count Cain yet. 
Not sure, totally captivated by the plotline, is like a journey through earth, hell and heavens just to find the one he loves. The drawback is the words, I have never read anything that has so much words before, but because of the narration, it makes this story richer. I'm now at Vol. 11, but if this makes me breathless so far, it sure is good!
 :h_doki:

Rating : 10/10

What about you? What are you reading now?
 :h_hm:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 09:18:42 PM by nami hime »

Unproductive

• OCD for Perfection
  • Administrator
  • Angyo Onshi
  • Revenge is double-edge sword.
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 09:14:22 AM »
Nami, that last emoticon is "kikoenai..." or "I can't hear you..." and the cute puff has hands over the ears to block out sound.
It's something you might want to do when inky assigns you a chapter to translate.  :h_hehe:
(Inky:)  :h_hm:

I'm slowly reading Berserk, but I'm starting to get annoyed with the series.  It's not as smart or subtle of a series like SAO.  Love SAO.  I also finished Planetes which was great.
In our dire straits, our dreams are still possible.  As bleak as it looks, we can and will persevere.  I will bury my head, toil relentlessly, and ignore the fleeting pain, but I will never lose sight of our dreams.  Will you be at my side?

Sharibet

• Phantom Soldier
  • I look so innocent...
    • Website for my published novels
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 10:10:48 AM »
I found Berserk utterly compelling for the story arcs that dealt with Guts' coming-of-age with the original Band of the Hawks, and the spectacular rise and fall of Griffith (basically, the storylines that appeared in the anime series). However, the manga started to run out of steam when Griffith disappeared from the storyline for far too long.

**SPOILER ALERT***

I think it would have been a much tighter story if the author had stuck with Guts, Griffith, and the original Band of the Hawk--for one thing, we'd spent a long time getting to know Pippin, Judeau, Rickett, and the others, and while killing off everyone but Caska and Guts was a truly shocking turning point, it also meant that the author had to stop the forward momentum while while Guts wandered around and gathered up a new set of companions. IMHO, this really disrupted the story's pacing...it feels like the author is doing the same thing twice.

However, now that the New, Improved Griffith has reappeared in this interminable Millennium Falcon arc, I'm finding myself more interested to see what's going to happen.

runpsicat

• Engrishator
  • Administrator
  • Phantom Soldier
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 09:59:53 PM »
Angel Sanctuary was better in the first few volumes... then Yuki Kaori REALLY starts to pile on the taboo type material (I think she's totally repressed or sexually frustrated or something... gawd) such that it kind of interferes with the plot.  She did that a lot in Cain too, but I dunno, it was within "uh-huh" limits. 

Haven't read Berserk yet, though I heard it was good.  I'll have to try it sometime.

I'm reading quite a few off-and-on (with my latest marathon being SAO... :D) but it's rather spotty since I'm pretty sure I'll get tortured by  :h_demon: if I read manga instead of working on Cesare now and then.  I'm liking Mushishi, SIDOOH and Team Medical Dragon.  I used to be really into 20th Century Boys, but I think Urasawa Naoki got too ambitious and made it too drawn-out.  I really liked ARIA too, but it's starting to feel like I've eaten too many cookies from the same box.

loperlil

• Bang Ja
  • Lost in the Wheel
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 08:48:21 AM »
I used to be really into 20th Century Boys, but I think Urasawa Naoki got too ambitious and made it too drawn-out.
I get that from almost all of his works that I have read/seen. In about the middle I loose intrest but a little later they pick right back up. I hate that even though viz has licensed 20th CB they wont release it untilll Monster is completly released (His request).

Some of my favorite series that I am reading right now are Genshiken, Mushishi, Detective Conan, Hikaru no Go, HunterXHunter, and Death Note.

Astris

• Sando
  • What's real?
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 11:28:02 AM »
It is, I think one of the best works by her, since I had not read Count Cain yet. 

What, you had not? I think you should do that quickly ;D
Count Cain (I think the series is also called "God Child" 'cause Kaori Yuki changed the name after she continued drawing the series. She took a break between volume 5 and 6. So her style changes abruptly. It was interesting to see how the characters appearance changed from one volume to the next!!! ^^) is one of my favourite series ever.
Besides, I haven't read AS yet...

Actually I'm really obsessed with SAO. I sometimes re - read some Manga and I'm thinking that the storyline is so predictable compared to SAO!!! Well. There ARE some other good Manga.  :smiley:

I'm reading "Trinity Blood" these times. I really like the style, the artist creates some excellent artwork. I like the characters best. They're all mysterious in their own way...   :grin:
Hmmm there are some more series, for example "Fairy Cube" (Kaori Yuki), "Basara" (Yumi Tamura), "D.Gray - Man" (Katsura Hoshino), "Death Note" and "Bone", which isn't a real Manga actually. Maybe some of you know that Comic. I'm absolutely loving it. (I do also like Comics or Graphic novels - not only Manga. I do naturally ALSO read books!  :wink:)
"It is said that at the beginning of the world, good and evil were two parts of the same body, like the front and back of a folded blank piece of paper... black and white were added to the paper by men themselves."

Inky

• Administrator
  • Sando
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 03:39:20 PM »
but it's rather spotty since I'm pretty sure I'll get tortured by  :h_demon: if I read manga instead of working on Cesare now and then. 

Hehe, I wonder who's  :h_demon:

I don't read many titles currently. Just not in the mood, somehow. I guess one less distraction for my procrastination~
But the pile of volumes I still haven't read...  :h_oops:

Although I'm up-to-date with Cross Game (Adachi forever~) and a few other shoujo series (yes, yes, I'm a big shoujo reader but I try to read all kind of genres, hehe).

loperlil

• Bang Ja
  • Lost in the Wheel
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 06:43:17 PM »
Bone is a good comic.

Adachi is a good writer. There are a few annoyances with his work though.

runpsicat

• Engrishator
  • Administrator
  • Phantom Soldier
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 07:30:42 PM »
Hehe, I wonder who's  :h_demon:

She Who Must Not Be Named...  :lipsrsealed:

cagliostro91

• Bang Ja
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 09:29:02 PM »
I'm currently reading Fullmetal Alchemist (by Hiromu Arakawa), which is a much better manga than people may think from the anime...

Other than that, I was interested in reading SAO's authors first work together (or at least the only one I'd heard of) titled Island. Absolutely fantastic and riveting, albeit a bit short and unbelievably underrated.   :h_heh:I would pay excellent money to read the novel In-Wan Youn wrote concerning the events before and after the manga.  :h_crybig:

inkstone

• Bang Ja
    • Incitata
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 05:57:15 AM »
I loved Island!  And like you, I wish we'd get a chance to read the novel one day.  But Island was one of Tokyopop's first titles, let alone their very first manhwa, and I think they didn't really know what they were doing with it in terms of marketing.  (Those awful covers!)  It's a shame that it went out of print and is now notoriously hard to find.   :h_cry:

As for right now, I'm currently reading:
Mushishi
Saiyuki
Samurai Deeper Kyo

Plus several books.  :)

Sharibet

• Phantom Soldier
  • I look so innocent...
    • Website for my published novels
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 01:57:09 PM »
On the manga front, I'm currently reading "GantZ," which is fairly grim, sexually explicit, and extremely violent, but nevertheless quite compelling. The characterizations are excellent, if gritty, and I'm curious to see if the manga's authors intend to give us any world-building explanations about the origins of the mysterious black ball and the whole alien-fighting thing.

On the books front, <I>Animals in Translation,</i> by Temple Grandin. Dr. Grandin is an animal behaviorist. She's also autistic, which gives her a unique insight into why animals behave and react the ways that they do. (The chapter on dogs vs wolves was fascinating...)

I'm also reading assorted books about the later Crusades and <I>A History of Private Life: Revelations of the Medieval World,</i> for my current work-in-progress novel.

Llama

• Phantom Soldier
    • Livejournal
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 05:50:06 PM »
Manga

Shin Angyo Onshi
Berserk
Naruto

Books

I finished A Song of Ice and Fire last month. Currently, I'm reading The Financier by Theodore Drieser, Living Buddha, Living Christ by Thich Hanh and The Golden Compass by Philipp Pullman.

grimmhagen

Re: What Manga are you currently reading?
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 02:43:59 AM »
NOT SPOILER FREE !

I'm a guest, but still I want to post without registering.

I'm reading Shin Angyo Onshi, and just finished reading chapter 20i, one thing that my heart wanna cry out loud is that ..

If I can go in there, on top of that mountain, I'll summon Seiten Taisei, and make him crumble the mountain top, grab bang ja, and that black guy outta there and instantly come before sando and coldly say, "Your master is still alive you useless wench"  :h_meh:

Astris

• Sando
  • What's real?
Re: What Manga are you currently reading?
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 01:58:06 PM »
We all read SAO here, I suppose  :wink:

Hey, Llama, how did you like "The Golden Compass"?
(I've also read the whole trilogy yet. ^^)
I found this book really thrilling. I loved the ideas the author inserted!

(I suppose that this would fit better into the Book section  :h_uh-oh: )
"It is said that at the beginning of the world, good and evil were two parts of the same body, like the front and back of a folded blank piece of paper... black and white were added to the paper by men themselves."

Copyright © ETC